Are you nervous about Buying a Used Car?
We all understand that buying used cars can be a little intimidating, especially if you’ve never purchased a vehicle before. It’s exciting and can be a little scary.
Everyone should know what to expect when trying to figure out their car buying options. You should always know the vehicle history and what to expect from every auto dealer that you are considering purchasing a pre-owned vehicle from.
To help assist you with your new or used automobile journey I have made a buyer’s guide for you to go buy. You should ask each and every single question before you decide to buy any vehicles from any auto dealerships. Now this list applies to all vehicles not matter if they have leather seats, a navigation system, alloy wheels or is a 2017 Honda. If you follow the guide I have prepared for you everything should be just fine.
If you can’t find an answer to your question on this page take a look at some of the Related Articles that I have listed below.
Now, let’s get started with the list of questions to ask each and every automobile dealer before you make any purchases from them.
Financing & Payments
- Do you approve everyone? This is an extremely important question to ask if you have bad credit or no credit at all
- How do buy here pay here dealerships work? This will help you in the payment process you must go through if you do indeed have bad credit or no credit at all.
- Can you finance me if I do not have a credit card? This is an important piece of information because not everyone has a credit card. Especially, new and younger drivers.
- What will be my down payment? You want to ask this because you want to know exactly how much you need to pay that day to leave with the vehicle you want. This will also allow you to know exactly how much your monthly payment is going to be.
- Do you offer a reservation program? This is great for online car shopping. If you visit a car dealerships site online and you find a vehicle you like you can reserve that exact vehicle for a certain amount of time so that no one else can buy it. This is useful if you really like the vehicle but cannot make it to the car lot until a later date.
- Do you run a credit check? If a dealership has a cash cars offer which means you do not need credit to buy an automobile from them there should be no need to run your credit.
- What are the interest rates on your loans? You really want to know the answer to this question because it will allow you to know how you really have to pay for the vehicle you are thinking of purchasing.
- Will you accept financing from my personal bank or credit union? If the dealership will indeed accept financing from your personal bank this is great news because you already know all of your personal bank’s interest rates. However, most dealerships do not offer this so do not get your hopes up. But it is a great idea to still ask because there are those few dealers that do indeed offer this quality.
- Can I get approved online? This is a huge deal for many people. If you can indeed get approved online then you will know in advance if it is even worth your time traveling to the car lot.
- If I have previously filed for bankruptcy can I still get approved? You obviously only need to ask this question if it pertains to you. If this does indeed include you do not worry most no credit check car lots do not care if you have filed for bankruptcy.
Purchasing a Vehicle
- What do I need to make a purchase on one of the pre-owned vehicles? You want to know exactly what you need to take with you so that you can leave with the car that you want that day. It is a good idea to call the vehicle dealer and ask them this question before going there.
- Are there any hidden fees you are not telling me about? This is an extremely question to ask. Many car lots will sneak in hidden fees without telling you. If you ask them this question though they have to tell you or you can file a lawsuit against them.
- Is the price of each vehicle negotiable? Every dealership is going to tell you no when you ask this but every price is indeed negotiable. This is a good question to ask to see how honest the automobile dealer really is.
- Do you accept trade in deals? If you own a vehicle already this is a really good thing. This means that the place you are buying your car will buy your recent vehicle from you. They will then take the price that they are willing to give you for your current car and put it toward the automobile you are looking to buy. By doing this you will pay much less for the car you want to buy.
- Do I need to schedule an appointment or do you allow walk-ins? Most dealerships are extremely happy with walk-ins. You still need to contact them to double check and make sure that they do not operate on an appointment only plan.
- Are auto history reports provided with every vehicle on the lot? This could most possibly be the most important question you could ask. If the dealership does not offer a carfax or auto history report Do Not Buy a vehicle from them.
Vehicles & Multi-Point Inspections
- Is each vehicle thoroughly inspected before being listed for sale? You want to make sure that the car that you are considering buying has been properly maintained so that it does not break down on you as soon as you leave the lot with it.
- Where do you get the vehicles you sale from? Make sure that the car dealer is not buying stolen cars and then reselling them. This is a great way to get yourself into some trouble.
- Do you have a list of all repairs performed on each automobile? You want to ask this question for 2 different reasons. First, you want to know of recent problems that the vehicle has had and if they have been fixed. Second, you want to make sure there are not any transmission problems. If the transmission or motor has been worked on quite a bit I highly suggest moving on to another car.
- Do any of your vehicles for sale have rebuilt engines? Now, if a dealership does say yes to this answer do not get too panicky! Many dealerships and car lots will have these type of vehicles but they sell them for really cheap. These are usually smaller maw and paw type places though. If you are at a major auto sales place and they say yes you may want to leave and find another place to search for your vehicle.
- Will, you put the vehicle up on a lift for me or my mechanic to personally inspect? If it is an honest dealership then they will have no problem with you or your mechanic inspecting the car, truck or SUV. If they do say no though this is a really big red flag.
- Are there any vehicles on the lot that have been recalled? To be recalled means that the company that makes the vehicle has found a problem with it and needs you to bring the vehicle in for repairs because the vehicle is not safe to drive. Recalls are common in parts of a vehicle but not for a vehicle in whole.
Our Warranty & Coverage
- Do you offer a warranty on both new and used cars? A warranty is very important. A warranty means if something breaks on your vehicle while still under warranty you do not have to pay for the repairs. Some used vehicles come with a warranty but not all of them do. If you can find a used automobile with a warranty you have found a really good deal.
- Do you have a money back guarantee deal if I do not like the vehicle after a few days of driving it? Many places do indeed offer this deal. This is a sign of a really good and trustworthy dealership.
There you go! With this guide whether you are a first-time buyer and you are simply in need of another vehicle, you should be able to land yourself an excellent deal. Just remember to ask each and every question I have provided for you and you should walk away with one of the better automobiles you have ever owned.